Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lobster Time!

If you all remember, number three on my "30 by 30" list was to have lobster in New England. That's what you do in the summer in New England, right? Right. Luckily, I have connections up there - since my fiance is from Rhode Island and all that.

This past weekend, we went up to visit his family and thought it would be the perfect time to get my lobster. So on Monday, we headed to one of the many local seafood joints for lunch. It was a place near the beach called Cap'n Jacks. Pretty original, huh? Well, apparently it's known around town, so I was up for an adventure.

So.... Here's my lobster.

I'm just gonna say this... It was very, very stinky. Like, eww gross - I'm supposed to eat that smell?? Nasty. Uhm, also... I had a bit of an issue with the little beady eyes still on it. I made Jimmy pull them off for me before I could do anything. He thought it was hilarious. The nerd.

Luckily, the lobster didn't taste like it smelled - like steamed arm pit. :) I was suuuper relieved to realize that the meat of the lobster was very tasty. It was much tougher than I thought it would be. I think I was expecting a shrimp consistency. I guess that's a question - is it like steak like that? Is the quality determined in the toughness?

Anyway, it was yummy. I liked it a lot more with the butter stuff. That made it much more tasty. I may or may not have had way too much fun playing with the claws. I was tempted to take one with me to scare people later, but Jimmy reminded me that they would get really stinky. Only I wouldn't think about that. Sigh.

So this place was a lot of fun. They even had lobster cupcakes!! How cute is that?!? Luckily they weren't lobster flavored. That would be gah-ross. But they were massive. that body of the lobster? Yeah, that's a Twinkie. As fun as that was, it was humongus. And really, really messy. My fingers were really red for the rest of the day. There was a shark one too, but I'm glad I didn't get that one (the icing was dark gray - could you imagine how black my mouth would get?!?)

All in all, the lobster experience was a fun one. I was happy to spend it with people who knew what to do - like instructing me that the claw meat is the best. See? What would I do without them??

One thing down... 29 to go!

1 comment:

  1. How expensive is jumping out of a plane? With a parachute of course! And can you combine any of your before your thirty things into your honeymoon??? Massage, day cruise depends where you're going. Don't know where you posted about your wedding plans except saw where you spent vacation in Tenn. planning wedding.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete